My Blog List

2014-03-26

Day 9 - China Town



After a weekend break, my journey began again on day 9.

Today I went to the capital zone of chinese people, "China town". I got dressed up with a basic red top to match with the surrounding.






I started at MRT China town and walked through the People's Park Complex which stood behind the street that I wanted to go. "Pagoda Street" was a street in the center of China town. There were many Chinese shops in this street; such as, handcraft, postcard, clothes, calligraphy traditional and even amulet. This place made me feel like walking at Khaosan Road in Thailand. I bought five postcards and stamps at $5 price and some other souvenirs. I felt the stuffs in this street were inexpensive, but they also depends on some shops.









I walked slowly and took pictures around the street then out of blue, there was a merchant came and greeted me

"Hey, Where're you from?" 
"I'm from Thailand"
"Oh! Thaksin Shinawat" 

He replied abruptly and asked me about Thailand's politics situation. I was impressed to know that a foreigner would know so much about my home country. I smiled and talked to him for a while, then I left.






At the other end of this street was the Sri Mariamman Temple, which was Singapore's oldest Hindu temple built in the Dravidian style. This temple served mainly Hindu Singaporeans and it was also a major tourist attraction.







I walked along the South bridge road till I found another popular attraction. It was a landmark of China town, called "Buddha tooth relic temple". It was a huge Chinese temple, where many Buddhist came here to pray and made merit.







I walked through a temple and found China town complex where I chose to take a rest and searched the map for my next stop.








I decided to walk back to South bridge road and crossed back to the 'red building' designed museum, Red Dot. There was $8 admission fee. I wasn't sure what this place exactly was, and I think it was too small to call it a musuem. It looked like just a place to show few works of design students.









Anyways, I got the special designed journey map from Red dot that changed my today's routes. The map mentioned many interesting designed places around here. I then realised $8 was actually for this journey map.

"Design is not limited within the confines of the Red dot design museum, design is everywhere - in the things we use, see, hear, eat and wear." 






So, I determined to go to the places mentioned in the map. There were a full day and a half day plan to choose. But I had a free long day to spare anyway, So I went through all the routes.








 The first place was right across Red Dot. It was Singapore City Gallery which gathers the collection of different types of architectural models. Besides, there were special tablets which could scan and mock-up the models into a real city on the tablet screen.







I followed the map to my next stop and found the tiny book store that located at Duxton road, called "Littered with Books". This place was my favourite one. I discoverd a world that fused the book store and classic interior design together. I could lay down on the couch and read books all day.







My next stop was a temple again. It was the "Thian Hock Kheng Temple", an oldest temple in Singapore. In there, an architectural masterpiece of stone, tiles and wood, dragons and phoenixes, and amazing carvings can be found. There were few people incensing while I took pictures.







After the third stop, I could not bear the extremely hot weather anymore. It made me felt so sick that I changed my plan. I searched for the nearest MRT that was the Raffles place and went back home instead. I felt sorry for the many interesting attractions that I missed.







No comments: