My Blog List

2014-03-26

Day - 10 Little India



Today went to another culture centre which is "Little india". This place was commonly known as Tekka in the local community.

I came out from Bugis MRT station which I had never come before. I was so confused which way to walk first. So, I decided to follow people around there and walked through the Bugis street. It was the largest street-shopping location in Singapore. There were many retail complex of shopping malls and restaurants. I felt like walking in the Platinum fashion mall in Thailand. But I think this street was not a well-known tourist destination, though it is full of crowded Singaporeans.







The end of this street was the Waterloo street where a few well-known landmarks; such as, Sri Krishman Temple. It was the only south Indian Hindu temple in Singapore. Besides, Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple was also located at Waterloo street.It was a Chinese temple crowded with faithful minds of Chinese-Singaporeans.



-Waterloo St.
-Sri Krishman Temple
-Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple 


After strolling around for a while, I took a bus and went along the Victoria Street. I stopped at Musilm cemetery. There, stood countless numbers of funeral urns. I couldn't imagine if those urns turned into humans, there would be no space left even for me to stand there.






I walked up and down along Victoria street and found two interesting mosque. The first was the Masjid Malabar which located at the junction of Victoria Street and Jalan Sultan. And another one was the Masjid Sultan, also not so far away. Besides, There was also Abdul Gaffoor Mosque located at Dunlop Street near Little India. I was impressed by each mosques's architecture, each places had their own mosque designs that I had never seen before. I learned more about Muslim's culture from the Mosques which I went. All mosques have rules regarding cleanliness. Shoes must not be worn inside the carpeted prayer hall. I had to take off my shoes when entering the mosques.



 -Masjid Malabar
-Masjid Sultan
-Abdul Gaffoor Mosque


After I sauntered and took pictures of the mosque, finally I arrived at "Little India Arcade" It was located across Little India MRT station.






I felt like I was in another country where there were only Indian people. Not only people, but also surroundings, the buildings and even clothes shops looked exactly like in the native India. There were not much tourists here, I was surprised somehow. However I still walked around and took pictures.








I walked along the Seragoon road and found a few more Indian temple. There were Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple and Sri Vadapathira Kaliamman Temple. I knew that these two temples were two of the oldest temple in Singapore. They was built since the time I had not occurred yet.



 -Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple
-Sri Vadapathira Kaliamman Temple


After that, I walked to Farrer park MRT station and went back home.






No comments: